Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lucky Schmucky!

"Shallow people believe in luck. Wise & strong people believe in cause and effect"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

After a 3-show day, I was at a party talking to a friend of mine that was (and sometimes still is) a drummer in a band. He’d never made his living as a musician and settled for working landscaping to pay his bills. I’ll get to that in a minute.

He remembered that a couple of years ago I was writing a course on “How to make money performing”. He asked how it was going.

Well, I told him that I finished it a while back and that there are a number folks finally making their living performing when they thought it was impossible.
I also told him that these people were realizing that anybody with a little talent and a commitment to succeed could make their living in their art. All they needed was the marketing to it.

Then he said something that just pissed me off….

He said “Yeah, but didn’t you just get lucky?”

He was referring to my Animal Magic Show. He was suggesting that I just “got lucky” when I put it together and starting making MY living as an entertainer.

I thought to myself Yeah…

It was lucky that I put together a show that kids and parents love.

It was lucky that I studied all the great marketers for hours on end (and still do) to try and figure out how to sell my show.

It was lucky that I put an ad in the yellow pages (no internet back then) that booked tons of gigs.
It was lucky that I created a direct mail campaign that helped me dominate market after market.

It was lucky that I created another show just as successful as Animal Magic for a completely different market.

It was lucky that I created 2 completely separate websites that booked way more shows!

All of these steps were obviously some stroke of luck that just happen to bring me success.
Bulls#&t!

Luck is getting discovered at the cash register of a Piggly Wiggly and hired to star in a major motion picture.

Making your living as an entertainer is a matter of dedication, smart marketing and a strong will to succeed (with a little talent mixed in). That’s it.

How bad do YOU want it? Ya see, my drummer friend was never that committed. He never believed it was possible. He never learned to “work smart”. He never learned the real business of the business.
And here's the funniest thing. When I told him a brief summary of how the system works, his comment was "Isn't that selling out". No my friend. Selling out is continuing to work a job that you hate when the answer is right in front of you.

You on the other hand, have already made the commitment by joining Rebel Entertainers and reading this blog.

If you’d like to see every step I took in creating a hugely successful performing business, the steps that got me “lucky”, you can find them in the Rebel Entertainers’ Success System.

Not only is it an entire manual of marketing 101, but it has every marketing piece that I’ve used to build my business. And you get the rights to simply change the documents to your information and be booking shows almost overnight.
If you already have it, congrats.

Here’s the link: John's "Lucky" Success System
-John
Rebel Entertainer and Lucky Schmuck

No comments: