Friday, August 21, 2009

Oh Crud, I lost My Snake!

A couple of weeks ago, I came back from a weekend in Vegas. Only to discover that my Snake had escaped!

Ok. I hear you snickering. It's the Ball Python that I use in one of my shows. I'm in the middle of a 100 show summer, and one of the stars of the shows is missing.

Ok. Go to plan B - The Bunny. Not as high of an impact, but has the awe factor.

Then, a few days ago, I'm driving to San Diego for a couple of shows and realized that I didn't have a couple of props.

Ok. Go to plan B - Use toilet paper for Dove appearance.

Last week at a Library show, the librarian told me that he (yes, a man librarian - I shall call him a libariman) needed me to shorten the show by 10 minutes.

Ok. Go to plan B - Take out the tortoise trick.

Do you have a plan B for all of your routines? What if you'd forgotten props or had to shorten or lengthen the show? Do you have enough material ready? Can you cut something without ruining the structure of your show?

I used to always keep a little case with a couple of sets of all my parishable props. I do again now. Not a bad idea.

Are you prepared? If not, take a look at all your routines and come up with Plan B.

Also, I'd love to hear your stories of how you McGyvered your show.

Oh, I know you're wondering... I did find her and she's safe and sound in her heated snake condo.

-John
Rebel Entertainer and The Man With The Plan
http://www.rebelentertainers.com/
www.facebook.com/rebelentertainer

1 comment:

Julia in CA said...

Toilet paper for doves... now that is genius.

I had to "McGyver the act" just last night at church. My husband and I were asked to lead the singing portion of the service and told that we would just need ONE song after the sermon. Luckily I prepared three. And also fortunately (or perhaps, divinely inspiredly), I had thrown a couple of extra songs on the list as "alternates." At the end of the service the pastor turned to me and said, "So, can you guys keep playing a little longer?" After a couple of songs, he did it again. And then he did it one more time, but because I had the extras, we only ended up repeating one song.

So I walked away from it with the lesson that you ALWAYS prepare extra ahead of time. And, since we hadn't rehearsed one of the songs with the band ahead of time, thinking "Oh, we probably won't do it," I learned to ALWAYS rehearse EVERYTHING, because if you don't, well, it's not really a back-up, is it?