Thursday, January 14, 2010

What happens when your client says "We Have A Problem"?

A crazy thing happened today that I had to tell you about. Here it is.

I was hired by a school to perform my Animal Magic show.

So, I drive two and half hours to the gig. (I accepted the distance because I was able to book four more shows the next day in the same area so it made it worth my while)

I show up. On time. Ready to set up. I meet with the principal that hired me.

She pulls me aside and says "WE HAVE A PROBLEM".

OK. Other than "I'm late for my monthly visitor", "we have a problem" is probably the worst thing you can here.

She goes on to say that because of an animal act that they had last month that was busted by the Department of Fish and Game, the district is no longer allowing animal acts at any of the schools.
"So I'm really uncomfortable with you performing today"

Well gee. Ya coulda' told me that before I made the drive! Animal Magic has animals. Heck, it's in the name! Thank goodness she paid in advance (true).

I didn't lose my cool. Instead, I remembered that I came prepared to perform a completely different show the next day. My Bully Prevention show.

So I calmly told her that "I have another terrific show loaded in my car right now that doesn't use any animals. I guarantee your kids will love it". I went on to tell her a bit about the show.

She agreed and I performed two of my Bully Prevention shows.

Now, I could've said "Hey lady, you're out of luck. I made the drive here. You already paid. Too bad. I'm going to the hotel".

But I knew that the kids were expecting a "caught being good" reward assembly. And I wanted to make sure I made good on my end of the bargain. So instead, I worked it out with her.

She was thrilled. At the end of the two shows she gave me a huge high five and said "Thank you so much. You are my hero! Ya really pulled my butt out of the fire."

Right before leaving, I subtly (ok, maybe not so subtly) suggested that she tell this story to the schools around the area. Forty five minutes later, by the time I got to my hotel room, there was a call from another school in her area ready to book the show.

Do I come prepared with two completely different shows every time? No. Will I from now on? Yes.

See how many lessons you can pick out of this crazy day.

I welcome your comments.

-John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and guy that loves his job!
www.rebelentertainers.com
www.facebook.com/rebelentertainer
www.twitter.com/johnabrams1

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, your MY hero, with that story. Totally rocks. Great going and thanks so much for sharing and continuing to inspire us all!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great encouragement to have all of us be prepared doubly when ever we go out . . .

Donna Hofstee said...

I had this happen to me as well. Not with Animals but with Balloons and Face Painting. I got hired for a store opening. I was to be there six hours. When I got there the Manager came out and said "We have a problem" You are not going to be able to do any balloons or painting. The corporate office sent word this morning. Thank goodness I always carry extra supplies with me. So I pulled out my magic and did walk around magic and played with props the whole time. It turned out great. So always come prepared for anything. I also carry two different magic shows with me.

Donna
All Ways Entertainment

Anonymous said...

Yep, I always have an "emergency" magicians kit in the car. Full of pack small/play big material (it all fits inside one of those metal cases.

I am curious though...why have an act such as an animal act?

Now bear in mind that I have good friends who have animal acts and I put this question to them too.


None of their answers have been of much merit though.

Laura Caldwell (Annie Banannie) said...

Why have an animal act? Like balloons, having animals is like having a superpower. It's an amazing way to get and keep kids' attention so we can pass on what we came to the school to teach.

Oh, and I just saw the Bully Game, and what a great show!

And this post is good advice, John. I wonder if I could do my show without the balloons? If this ever happens to me, you bet I'll find out!

Rebel Entertainers said...

Great comments everybody. I also learn from all of you.

To Anonymous: Why Animals? Good question. Quite simple really. Marketing 101. When I first put the show together, I knew that all kids loved both animals AND magic. And that by creating a show with both I would outsell every other family entertainer in my area. And I did and still do. Throughout the last 10 years the Animal Magic show has made me over a million dollars... even though I've cut back over the last couple of years to promote other shows.

Although it is super successful, it's only part of my arsenal (as you can see from my blog).

Not so bad for a children's entertainer.

Is that a good enough reason?