Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Family's Experience with the Anaheim Hills Fires

No marketing today. Just something kinda personal and interesting.

I live in Anaheim Hills. Last November we had to evacuate our house because the fire was literally a block and a half away from our house. Coming towards us! The smoke was unbearable.

So we loaded up the computer, the animals and the family in the Van and the PT Cruiser and headed out to a hotel in Newport beach. We were all a bit scared, but tried to turn it into an adventure. That night we ate barbecue (ironically) at Outback Steakhouse and stayed in a nice pet friendly hotel.

Well, two weeks ago, I was hiking in part of the valley that had burned. I took my dad because he’s into photography and I thought the photo opps were pretty awesome there. Burnt trees, new flowers, etc…

On our hike I found something very interesting. On the ground, between some burnt trees and some not burnt trees, was a half melted LIGHTER. It was one of those big gun-shaped fireplace lighters. And it was completely charred.

The CSI hairs on the back of my neck stood up!

So I video taped it and went to my local fire station to report it. Turns out, it had nothing to do with the big fires. But it probably was used by some homeless folks or teenagers to start a smaller spot fire.

I put the video on you tube. Here’s the link: Aftermath of Anaheim Hills Fire

I also took my family there afterwards to hike around and have some fun. Here’s the link for the video for that: Messin' Around in the Burnt Valley of Anaheim Hills

Both are pretty cool, because they show the burned out valley.

Have Fun.
John

No comments: