Thursday, April 9, 2009

Q & A Session - May 2009

I have the smartest entertainers in the country in my Rebel Army. If you like what you're reading, spread the word.

Great questions, great lessons, so read on!

Terri Foust Rogers aka T. Tator Tot the clown asks:

Hi John, I read your "Free stuff" on your website and it says in your "Seven Deadly Sins" to use "Lust". I work with children and I see no way that I could use "lust" and still have a show that is good for kids and keep with having a great reputation. I understand that "sex" sells but when I dress as a clown or a vested entertainer and am working with children I don’t see it being possible. What suggestions would you have?

Answer:

Hey Teri,

I laughed out loud at the visual. Listen, there are many great suggestions on that report (Seven deadly sins of Rebel Marketing). Not every single one will be appropriate for every single show. In fact, I would never suggest you do any kind of sexual innuendo aimed at kids. It’s inappropriate and could lose you bookings.

BUT… I am now going to reveal something that will shock a lot of folks. You CAN do it in your marketing. Remember, you’re not marketing to children. The kids don’t pay the bill. You’re marketing to adults.

Here’s an idea. It’s outrageous, but if you’ve got the guts, this will get through the clutter of all the other clown’s material and I guarantee that you will get hired above all the rest. Hold your breath, here we go.

Market to all men’s social clubs in your area such as Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Elks, etc.. for a romantic evening with their wives. Your headline reads “Discover how a clown got me closer to my wife… if ya know what I mean” Got your attention?

Ok. Next, in your sales letter explain how a man needs those intimate moments and how YOU can supply it. How? While they're in the Elks club lounge having that romantic dinner, you're entertaining the kids with squeaky clean hilarious clowning.

They get romance, they don’t have to leave the kids home with a babysitter, and you get paid. You can even have a picture of “The happy couple” with a cut out of you in the back with the thumbs up. How’s that for lusty positioning and outrageous marketing!

By the way, any entertainer can use this marketing campaign.

Judah Buxton asked this next question:

John,

Could you give a list of some good "power words or phrases." By this I mean good solid words or phrases one might use in marketing brochures, as they speak to a prospective client, etc. What words have worked for you?

Answer:

Hey Judah,

Congrats on your win at Twist & Shout! This is one of my favorite subjects and it’s where most entertainers fall short in their websites and marketing. They have a tendency to show all sorts of pretty pictures without any direct motivation for the customer to call and hire them.

By far, the most powerful and influential word in sales is “FREE". You can use it in your pitches like this. Along with the show, each and every guest gets a Free doo-dad. Comes with a Free teachers guide and Free coloring sheet. An additional 15 minutes of walk around for Free. You can easily position this word in your show, all marketing and in your phone scripts.

Here are some others I use all the time.

Call RIGHT NOW to book the date that you want.
I personally Guarantee…
You’ll get or You’ll receive (Instead of this is what “I do”)
Hassle-Free
Imagine
Peace of mind

I also use three “power words” in my USP for Rebel Entertainers. See if you can pick them out: Inspiring Live Entertainers to Create Innovative Marketing & Breakthrough Performances.

Here are my favorite books that I highly recommend for wordsmithing:

Words that Work - Dr. Frank Luntz - By far THE BEST book on how to use specific words and phrasing to get what you want.
The Power of Outrageous Marketing - Joe Vitale - Has an amazing chapter on how to write great headlines.
Rebel Entertainers’ Success System - Oh, wait, that’s mine. Includes an entire copy writing seminar in a two Cd set.

The first two are also available as audio books.

Marsha Gallagher of Laughsbymodine asks:

What are your favorite sources for learning about trends in children's and family entertainment, and how do you keep ahead of the curve?

Answer:

You can certainly go online and read the Disney and Nickolodeon websites and blogs. But that’s just someone’s commercial interpretation of what kids like.

The real secret is this: Sit down with kids in your demographic and watch TV with them for a few hours. You’ll see exactly what they watch, exactly what they get exited about, and what’s in and what’s out. When you’re at a show, ask the kids who their favorite singers are, what TV shows they like, what movies are they into, what video games they like, what’s on their Ipod etc... If you have kids, it’s easy. If not, do you have nieces or nephews?

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to sit with my two kids day after day and watch what they watch. It’s really kept me up on what’s cool to them. Now my youngest is 11 and pretty soon I’ll have to turn into that weird creepy guy that watches children’s programming without any kids in the room. What we do for our art!

Leo Cruz had this question:

Hi John,

I am a balloon Artist/Decorator, in this area people have to see your talent to appreciate it and realize why your rates are higher than other Entertainers. I do promotions in Farmers Markets, and local restaurants. I spend a lot of time away from home but my name and skills are getting out and my bookings are increasing. In your business when you started, how much time did you dedicate to promote you services and how long would you say it took for your name to be well known?

Answer:

The definition of “Well known” is hard to quantify. For me, I’m satisfied when I’m completely booked up four or five days a week with two or three shows each day. It’s different for everybody.

I’ll be honest with you. When I first started, I knew nothing about marketing my show. I just put the ad in the yellow pages and expected the calls to come in. Well, since I did offer something completely unique, it took about a year and a half until I was booked up all the time (at the time, I was satisfied just booking up weekends).

By the time I was ready to attack my other markets I had created a system for getting to them and getting to them very quickly. This system includes direct mail, internet, magazine/directory ads, monthly newsletters etc… Now, when I attach a new market, it takes about 3-4 months to get that phone humming ALL THE TIME. All of those letters and marketing materials are available in my Success System ready for you to change with your own information and use as needed.

The initial attack is some work, but once you have all those loyal clients, it’s simply a matter of following them up and keeping them. The work obviously pays off.

By the way, if you are just marketing at the Farmers Markets and local restaurants, it will probably take quite a while. Think about it. There are 1000's of perspective customers that never attend either of those places. But if you’re willing to really do the work, you can charge way more and get booked way more often.

Oh, and also, the idea that people must see your talent to pay you more is a myth. They can be convinced of it in your marketing. You can also use video on your website.

Mike Shenhouse aka Balloon Man Mike asks:

Hi,

I was just asked this question today. How would you answer it? "Mike, How do you work the fundraiser events?"

Answer:

There are a lot of ways to do it, but a standard formula for fundraisers for schools, churches etc is this:

You offer a fundraising show that’s Free to the client. You supply them with all the materials to promote the show and the evening. The customer charges a certain amount at the door and you split the money from the ticket sales. You always have to build in a minimum fee for yourself, even if the split doesn’t add up to your fee. You must require at least your minimum fee, then the rest is gravy.

Also, make sure your client has snacks and other things to sell at intermission or after the show. You can also sell additional products to make more money for yourself. If your client has a problem with you selling stuff at their event, offer to split the profits.


Charlie Brust bought my Success System and had this question:

Hi John,

In the school market, do you find that sending out a series of three lead generation letters books more shows than sending out three variations of a full sales letter (different first page/different color paper)? I can see the importance of wanting to get people who are raising their hands that also makes them a more valuable prospect, but aren't you going to lose some leads when you make them do an extra step (have them ask for the full information/sales letter)? Have you ever tested this, or have any more thoughts or observations on this?

Answer:

Hey Charlie,

Once you have a show that’s appropriate, schools are all about two things: Timing and getting something (or as many things) in that PTA folder that they’ll keep and look at again and again.

In general, a prospect won’t read a long sales letter unless it was requested. Yes you want to use the 3 letter lead generation system to get them to raise their hand so you can send the most interested ones the follow ups AND something monthly for the rest of the school year: Newsletter, specials, gift certificates and other incentives.

But, in the 3 letter sequence I would sweeten the pot. Offer a gift certificate and a free bonus along with the free info. Also, I would have the sales letter available in e-mail or downloadable form for someone who needs the info right now.

And lastly, in your 3rd letter and in the free info pack, you need to send them something inexpensive with a summary of your program. But it’s gotta be something that will stand out in the folder and something that they are sure to keep (not just a three fold brochure). I have the perfect SECRET WEAPON for this, but because I’m using it myself right now I can’t give it away in this blog. I'll be releasing it soon on my DIABOLICAL MARKETING WEAPONS OF A REBEL ENTERTAINER.

But, since you bought my Success program, I’ll be happy to give it to you personally. Just shoot me out an email or give me a call.

Jason Vaughn asks:

John,

What is your weekly marketing/promotions schedule look like?

Answer:

Hey Jason,

Great to hear from another marketer.

It's pretty simple. It’s a spreadsheet that has my 3 major markets across the top. Then on the left hand column it has each week listed and then every corresponding holiday to remind me. Then in each column, under the specific markets, I’ve put the action I’m going to take. Actions range from prepping and sending my monthly newsletter, to reminders to current clients, holiday specials and even additional marketing for what was a slow month last year.

I don’t always get to every single thing on the calendar, but it keeps me moving.

That's it for this session. Make sure to visit www.rebelentertainers.com.

Thanks for all the questions.
- John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer

2 comments:

Unknown said...

John,

Thanks for answering my question. What I was also wondering is if you have certain times of the year that niches are better to contact? Like libraries in December and PTAs in August.

Thanks again,

Jason

Rebel Entertainers said...

Hey Jason,

I contact both throughout the year with newsletters and email, but for major marketing campaigns here's what I do.

Libraries - Starting in January or whenever the showcases are. Then each month leading up to summer.

PTAs - August, September for the new school year & January for all year end events. But watch for PTA conventions and other opportunities offered by your local PTAs throughout the year.

Yes, January gets VERY busy.