Monday, April 5, 2010

My twisting line never ends...

Rebel Entertainer Suzy Rush had a question about a situation that I think all clowns, balloon twisters, face painters and close-up magicians run into.

Suzy writes:

"John,

I think my biggest problem is leaving the job on time. The kids always want me to stay and twist more balloons and fix their face paint. Sometimes even the parents push the kids way after I should be gone. How do I say no and have my clients and the kids happy?"

Great question. We've all run into this situation in some form or other.

Before I answer, I will say this. Always exceed their expectations. Offer a lot and deliver more. This will get you booked more often than any other strategy.

That being said, here's your answer:

This answer is two fold really.

First. PUT YOUR OVERTIME IN YOUR CONTRACT.

Your contract should state the amount and time that you and your client have agreed upon. Then, in big bold letters, state your overtime fee. If you really don't want to stay, make sure the overtime fee is above and beyond your regular fee and is charged in 15 minute increments.

Upon booking the show, be sure to tell the client of the overtime fee. (This is also a good marketing position, because they may want to add more time when booking and you'll be able to upsell a higher package).

Then, when you're at the gig and the time comes, and it looks like the children and parents want you longer, be very nice and go to the client and remind them of the overtime clause. Do this BEFORE your time is up. Then let the client make the decision.

You can do this very politely and politically correct.

Secondly. Once you establish the "end of the line", post a sign. The sign can read something clever like "This is the end of the line" or "I'm the lucky last customer". Once again, make sure you do this before the time is up.

Hope that helps.
I welcome your comments.

-John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and Guy that likes to put it in the contract
www.rebelentertainers.com
www.facebook.com/rebelentertainer
www.twitter.com/johnabrams1




8 comments:

TlalocW said...

This is a good piece of advice, but be warned that while it lets you get paid for your overtime and helps end your line, it doesn't mean everyone will understand and be okay with it. I essentially did this at a neighborhood party (after staying overtime as long as I could before I HAD to leave for my next gig), and some guy still got in my face (literally) about breaking the hearts of his grandkids, calling me a crappy clown (I'm not a clown), and declaring I would never work in that neighborhood again. Fortunately, I had made the people who hired me and everyone else happy, so they jumped down his throat for me.

Rebel Entertainers said...

Hey TlalocW,

Thanks for the comment. It's true. You're going to occasionally run into that crazy person. There's an old expression that says "You can't reason with crazy people". You did everything right. Your client and everyone else was happy.

Doctor Osborn said...

When I do festivals and it looks like I’ve got a never-ending line and no festival rep is in sight, I let someone else be the villain. I choose an adult male (the bigger, the better) who is in the back and I say, “Sir, my time is just about up and I have another performance I have to get to. However, I will guarantee your kids will get a great balloon. All you have to do is tell anyone who gets in line behind you, that the line is closed and the balloon guy has to go.”
The guy will do anything to guarantee “his” kids get balloons.

Rebel Entertainers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebel Entertainers said...

Jason Vaughn commented:

John,

I thought I'd give you a couple other thoughts on line ending.

1) Set expectations before hand with the client. The client is always responsible for having someone help me end the line. I WILL NOT be the bad guy in most situations. I want to make sure I look good to future clients as well as this one. I'm there as an entertainer and I can't do that and tell the kids no in most circumstances. Not a mention I'm a tender heart and give in to those big eyes.

2) Set expectations with the guests. I let them know on a regular basis when the client needs to cut off the line. Yelling or having someone announce "The balloon line will be closing in 20 minutes." Reminds people to get in line. Make sure they know before hand.

3) The most important time is right before leaving the line. You've shut it down and the line is low so parents that didn't want to wait will now try to get in line. These are also usually the meanest and have a low view of your work. That's why they wouldn't wait in line earlier. These are the least likely people to ever hire a decent entertainer anyway. These are the people you really want the client to handle or to have someone besides you handle. Have them walk you out. You don't want to get half way through the venue and be cornered all alone.

Thanks for your ideas. Great insight.

Anonymous said...

Aloha John,

It's good to have an open clause in your contract to stay longer. Not too many clients want you to stay longer to pay the extra fee. What has worked for me is what I call the Marvin Hardy theory. Pre-make sculptures in advance to give out at the end of your time. The pre-made sculptures could be as simple as swords and flowers or experimental stuff or sculptures to wow the party. Make sure it's already included with your original fee. If you still have extras, you can give it to the host or give it to people who still want a balloon.

Hope this helps,

Gene Tamashiro
Creative Air Enterttainment

Unknown said...

One of my most effective tactics when I have about 25 kids or less is to determine the end of the line, let everyone know the line is closed and this is the last person. From that person FORWARD I let each child select his/her balloon (working towards to front of the line), explaining as I go that the line is closed but since they were in line before I closed, they will get a balloon; they need to hold on to it until they reach the front when I inflate it. After that, I put away my balloons, my balloon menu, everything except my pump. When new people arrive, I explain the process and why some have balloons and others will not get one!

On larger jobs, I do ask for a dedicated assistant specifically for closing the line.

Another tactic that works well for me is to just tell people that I am closed and "I have to be FAIR...if I make a balloon for one child, I have to make one for EVERY child that asks, then I'll be here.....ALL NIGHT!!"" In my clown character, that always works.

I do a lot of repeat work, and my public gets to know the no means no!!

Rebel Entertainers said...

Great advice Doctor, Joy, and Jason. Thanks for chiming in.

-John