Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Government Bailout for Entertainers?

This next question is something that seems to be on everyone's mind. The economy.

Magic Michael asks:

Hi John-

With the economy as it is today, what ideas do you have for helping clients who DO want your program but have no government funding or funding of their own to FIND the money to hire you?

Best!

Michael

By the way, before I go on, I just want to say that I like this question and I imagine a lot of people are thinking the same thing. So...

Here's your answer:

First the fun part. I wish the government would cut me a nice fat check for about 40 million bucks. Heck, it's a small drop in the national debt bucket and I deserve it. No such luck.

Ok. Now the reality.

What's interesting about this economy is that the entertainers that saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and were aggressive and creative with their marketing actually had banner years in 2009 & 2010. The ones that said "I'll wait until this down-turn passes" are dying on the vine.

I had my BEST YEAR EVER last year and a number of my friends are in the same boat.

But I'm not blind to the plight of others. I do have friends that had been making their living entertaining for years but have had to take 9-5s and have exhausted their savings. Not a good place to be.

What's the difference between these two groups?

Education, Conviction and Aggression.

A few days ago I posted a number of different ways to market your business with absolutely no cost. If you used only those strategies - quickly, aggressively and actively - within a very very short period of time you would book enough gigs to invest in every product and every program that I offer. And even some I don't offer.

I've also posted an amazing strategy about a guy in the U.K. making buckets of money working a shopping area with literally no investment. Just a little bit of ingenuity. Click here to read it on my blog.

Last story and I'll hang this subject up.

My first ever investment in entertainment marketing material cost me exactly $100.00. It was Joel Bauer's Hustle Hustle. In retrospect, it wasn't that great and is now very dated. But it did give me a number of ideas that I used to book a number of shows. And that one investment started my journey to becoming a full time professional entertainer.

That was a hundred bucks I couldn't afford to spend. But I also couldn't afford to spend another day in my dreary job. A job that sucked the life out of me and zapped all my creative energy.

I now look back at that as the best hundred bucks I ever spent.

It's up to every single one of us to decide "when's the right time". For me it was about 11 years ago. Whenever that time is for you, it'll be the perfect time in your life for your situation.

I welcome your comments and experiences

If you like these tips, spread the word.

- John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and Guy that's grateful for what entertaining has brought me

P.S. If you're ready, here's the link to all of my money making products: John's Stuff

P.S.S. For one-on-one coaching, click here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree 100%, the last several years we have seen progressive growth in our business. I read somewhere in my travels that in a down turn economy the knee-jerk reaction might be to cut the advertising budget, but in fact you should be doubling down on your advertisement efforts.

A down economy also creates some great deals for businesses take advantage of, including print & other marketing discount opportunities.

Stay the course, have faith, create value in your product and get the word out to as many as whom will listen.

As to clients singing the blues about no funding... funding will be found if value is perceived.

So long as you have a steady stream of new prospects, you are in the driver's seat. So the lesson here is don't kill the ad budget or you will doom yourself into trying to find funding solutions for your clients to hire you...how backwards is that?


Pete Ellison
One World Rhythm

Rebel Entertainers said...

Great post Pete.