Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Your Price is Outrageous!

Hilarious Clown Eddy Rice Jr. wrote to me during the big Q & A (check out his website for the visuals alone. It's very fun. http://www.flappytclown.com/)

He told me a story about a crazy potential client that was referred to him by a friend and asked how I'd have handled it. Here's the edited version:

-------

Thanks John. Your articles have helped a lot.

Here’s the story. I was referred by a close friend to a person that I was told wanted my services.

I called the potential client and told her what I had to offer and when we got to the price she said “That is outrageous! I've been hiring entertainers for years and your price is ridiculous!”

After telling her the benefits of my services and how I guaranteed that everyone would have a great time, she said 'Well, we're just going to buy a costume from China and have a friend put it on!'

On and on she went trying to get MORE services for LESS money and make outrageous requests. I continued to hold my ground and finally said to her "Thank you very much, I hope you can find someone".

After a couple of days a friend of the lady called back (or maybe the lady pretending to be a friend) and booked my services for that exact party.

How would you have handled this.

Eddy Rice Jr.
-----

Here's your answer:

First, congrats for sticking to your guns. You're a terrific entertainer and people should pay top dollar for your services. No ifs ands or buts.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have lasted that long in the conversation. And I may or may not have gotten the gig.


Because here are MY RULES.

"If you can't afford my services at this time, that's ok. There's no shame in that. I can refer you to a lesser entertainer that you'll be very pleased with." And I do.

Notice the wording in that. There's a lot going on there. About half the time they'll call me back and book the show. No arguing. No negotiating. Everybody's happy. And if they do go with the less expensive option, I make some money for a friend.

Now, last thoughts on this. Any potential client that is that big of a pain in the ass when they're just in the researching process, is going to be a bigger pain in the butt when it comes to the event and your payment.

I don't need the headache. Each of us draw the line at a different place. Each of us needs to know what we will and won't do for a buck.

I don't need the business that badly. No client is worth losing sleep over. Especially one that can't pay me what I'm worth.

I welcome your comments.

If you like this, spread the word.

- John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and Guy that likes to hold that line
http://www.rebelentertainers.com/
www.facebook.com/rebelentertainer
www.twitter.com/johnabrams1

6 comments:

BarryF said...

Bingo, John!

Consider that first act of disrespect as a sign of what's to come if you continue on.

BarryF said...

Right on, John! Consider that first act of disrespect a sign of things to come if you choose to continue forward.

Balloon Man Mike said...

HI John,
Thanks for this great blog. The correct URL is http://www.flappytclown.com/

Lava Girl said...

Hey John,

First of all, what I like most about your advice is the "active problem solving". I also love that you are being a source for all entertainers. A rising river floats all boats. It's okay if your friends do a great job for less money. Sometimes Chuck, my musician husband, is that guy and it has brought us much prosperity and abundance. Here is something I learned at a customer service seminar hosted by UPS years ago.

Let the client (in this case, potential client) "vent" or "rant".

Just don't get trapped in the negative filter. A negative filter is a name you pin on that client, not to their face, but privately, under your breath or in your mind.

Say your potential client thinks your prices are outrageous. I personally would think, "idiot" (like how Napoleon Dynamite would say it) Now this would change how I listen, speak, & see the other person. I'm trapped. The way out of it is to change the filter by asking "what does this client need?" This changes the focus to addressing issues rather than focusing on your personal feelings and the idiot's, I mean future client's behavior in front of you.

Now this next part is the best thing I heard. EXPRESS EMPATHY. Saying I'm sorry to a customer does not imply that you did anything wrong. Empathy just means that you appreciate and understand someone else's feelings while not necessarily agreeing with them. I loved that piece of advice.
So now you can soothe the conversation by saying, "I'm sorry that my services are unaffordable for your family at this time (or something soothing and sincere and genuine that is from your heart). I would be happy to refer you to a lesser entertainer that will do a great job." etc...

Mutually agree upon a solution...either the client will hire you, not hire you or would like that referral. Deliver your promise.

Follow through and check up (if applicable.) See if the solution has satisfied the client. You might have to come up with another solution or you can say , "the buck stops here" - that's up to you.

Above all...NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL. THE WAY WE DO ONE THING IS THE WAY WE DO EVERYTHING. Even though I could not be a husband, I'm so glad I'm not that women's husband that Eddie had to deal with. Can you imagine? OOOH, don't pin any filters!Shame on me!!!!!!!

Remember this thought when going out and asking for what you're worth...An entertainers life is a rich life. You are the source. Creativity is your abundance and everyone's abundance all around you. You provide prosperity and joy by booking gigs. The more money you make, the more prosperity and joy you can provide, and the more boats you can float in the rising river you fill up. What an honor to have a spot like that on planet earth.

A mantra to remember.....

"MONEY COMES TO ME EASILY"

Stacy

Soul Dancer said...

Great demonstration of knowing one's worth, and how it's worth keeping things kind while holding steady. This is at the core of my book and workshops! Kudo's all around!
Soul
Author
Pay Me What I'm Worth
http://paymewhatiamworth.com

Rebel Entertainers said...

Thanks Barry. I agree.

Stacy - You explain it brilliantly. Thanks for the post.

Soul - Thanks for the Kudos. I looked at your website. Looks great. I'm ordering your book next week.