Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Organizing Your Contacts

The second question from the big Q & A came from two completely different Rebel Entertainers from two completely different arts.

Magician Charles Watson wrote:

"I'm in the middle of creating a plan for tracking bookings, keeping in contact with them, and organizing everything. I am also planning my marketing strategies and trying to put together a list of things that I will do daily to draw new business....reaching past clients, sending thank you cards, confirmations etc.

How would you recommend setting up this system to keep yourself on track. I find myself getting side tracked and not knowing what to do daily."

Sincerly,
Charles

... and Clown/Balloon Artist Patrick Duffek (aka Pat in the Hat) wrote:

"How do you do your contact management and database work?
How do you keep track of your tasks, records, and information? "

Patrick

Here's your answer:

The number one and most important asset of your business is your client list. I'm always shocked and amazed when I'm coaching someone and they DON'T have that list.

This is an excellent question and much easier solved then people think.

I use a software program called ACT. Here's how I use it and what you can do with it also.

- You can keep track of all your current contacts

- You can separate them into different marketing groups (ie. Libraries, Corporate, etc..)

- You can personalize any marketing or business form you need to send out (everything from sales letters to labels to contracts)

- You can set alarms that can remind you of every mailing and contact you need to make with every individual client (ie. Thank you cards etc...)

- It has an option of keeping a history of every contact you've made and what was done (example: 2/8/10 - Sent contract, 2/10/10 - Received signed contract)

- You can upload any spreadsheet of contacts into it. This makes loading your address book or a list from your favorite list company a breeze

It can do much more, but I think you get the idea.

There are others on the market, but ACT is the one I've used for over a decade and it works great. Tried and true proven software.

There are a few that have been designed specifically for entertainers also. Check your local artist forums if you want to explore more.

Go get organized!

If you like these tips, spread the word.

I welcome your comments and experiences,

- John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and Guy that likes to keep organized
www.rebelentertainers.com
www.facebook.com/rebelentertainer
www.twitter.com/johnabrams1

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been using Act for a decade as well. I've just installed the new Act 2010 program. Are you familiar with the social media and the e-marketing features?

Rebel Entertainers said...

Hey Bill,

I just bought a new computer and the brand new Act 2010 but haven't had a chance to load it. I'm excited to see what's new.

Ted Peterson-Best Party Magic said...

I bought ACT 07 version over a year ago and I can't figure out how to use it...It is basically taking up space on my hard drive...I started out using Magicbase and still do...I bought the ACT program because I heard it was alot better program but I'm too technologically challenged to figure it out...as of yet! Any suggestions???

Pete Ellison said...

We use act as well..and as a side note, we participate in the act users group here in the LA area that meets at the magic castle every other month. It's a great resource to help you explore act more....and catch a free magic show as well. If you are interested in attending, contact Victoria Marechal -> vmarechal@crm-it.net

Pete Ellison
One World Rhythm

Rebel Entertainers said...

Thanks Pete for the tip. I think I'll go check it out.

And Ted. Search for similar groups in your area if you're interested in getting it going.