Monday, November 9, 2009

The Story of Charm and Happy

Here's Carmen Tellez's fascinating story... written by Carmen in her own words...

One April afternoon, a friend of mine visited me at Avenue Press in Downey, CA. I worked as the Desktop Publisher at this print shop.

My friend Edgar (Eggo the Clown) asked if I would help him at his next gig by face painting the children's faces. I kindly declined letting him know "No offense, but I don't like clowns".

He convinced me that he was a friendly clown as I have only seen & known him "out of make up", so there was nothing to be concerned about. He said "Plus, I already bought the make-up paint and the kids would be so disappointed if I didn't go".

I let him know that I can draw a little, but never painted faces before. He assured me that I would do just fine. I believed him.

I gathered a few thrift store colorful clothes to create a homemade version of a clown helpers outfit. Looked pretty darned good too.

At that first party April of 1994, I saw Egoo and thought "Oh My! He does need help". He didn’t have an actual costume or clown looking get-up at all.

His running shoes were dirty, He wore 80's style beach pants, a t-shirt with suspenders and his make-up looked scary. He had a beat up cardboard box and had written "Clown Stuff" on it with a sharpie. Aaaaaaagh!

So I sort of played the soft friendly clown helper. The kids had a great time, but the look on the parents faces were to be noted.

During the next few days, I went to the local library to read what a "real clown" is supposed to do and look like. Found a video featuring Frosty Little (Master Clown) of Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus titled "Behind the Red Nose".

This video was actually for children to understand how to be a clown in the circus but it was just what I needed.

I became infatuated with learning how to be a clown so I could help my friend. I instead ended up helping myself! For just a few short months later, Eggo the clown decided not to continue his 2 year part time business of entertaining for children's parties.

He was giving his customers MY phone number!

This prompted me to get my drivers license so I could drive to my first party all the way to La Mirada. Boy was I scared. I talked my slightly younger brother into going with me.

That was the first & LAST time he dressed as a clown, but continued to assist me for several other parties until the year 2000. In that time my 7 year old sister started working with me most regularly thus becoming "Charm and Happy Clowns 4 all!"

A couple of clowns Yo-Yo & Yo-Ya called me one day to help them start a clown club. We did. A group of about 15 local clowns to date still keep in touch and remained the very best of clown friends all these years after learning from each other and genuinely enjoying each others company and growth in the clown business.

I wish I could remember the club name. It no longer exists for we all just got so busy. I believe it was called "Pueblo de Payasitos Latinos - Latin Clowny Town".

At Grant Rea Park in Montebello, CA,, a clown named Doodle approached me after my show. She asked if I was hiring. Heh! I was flattered that someone thought I had a business doing well enough to ask if I was hiring.

I did end up hiring her, her boyfriend, her cousin and a few more clowns she knew. CharmandHappy was literally turning down so much work that hiring these new clown workers made sense now.

After years of saving money to start my own Graphics House business, I was able to buy equipment for my home office and accept side jobs creating Desktop Publishing now called "Graphic Arts". I thought since I was creating magazines, ads, flyers, forms, logos and the like for customers, then heck, why not use these same efforts to start my own Clown business. I was getting hired EVERY weekend and was interested in expanding. I started making much, much, much more money with my part-time clowning business then my full time job.

In 1998, now online, CharmandHappy.com went full time with a business license, insurance, regular clients & approx. $30,000 in a savings account.

After looking at several listings for clowns, party planners and family entertainers in the yellow pages, church bulletins, newspapers, local circulations & magazines, I decided that I wanted to be where the "Big Dogs" were.

So I began to INVEST some of my savings into advertising so I could keep not only myself busy, but my new team busy EVERY weekend. Worked like a Charm!

***But what worked best was good old fashioned footwork. At Jungle Solutions, a real estate marketing printshop firm, I learned how real estate agents set themselves apart from the general real estate agent. Mostly, those clients just had to have really big egos, but they pushed "Personality",rather than "real estate".

*** At Dominoes Pizza, located in Pico Rivera, CA (one of my first teenage jobs), I learned that for every pizza delivery, the driver would take a coupon and deliver it to a customer, then also one house to the left and one house to the right to help triple odds of new &repeat clients.

***At Sir Speedy Printing located in Commerce, CA, I learned that if there was a job that we did not or could not complete "in-house", then we worked with a trustworthy company who could, so we could still provide the service for the client and make a small profit as well.

***Visiting and talking to workers, owners, managers at party shops, bakeries, pre-schools, flower shops, children's clothing, etc. helped to get the flow of referrals to CharmandHappy better than expected.

That was the basis of how "CharmandHappy" began to grow. By accepting reservations not only for clowns, but for other forms of Party entertainment like pony rides, jumpers, reptile presentations, online party goods, personalized photo birthday buttons, etc.

What I did not plan or expect was the lack of dedication & work moral some hired help displayed. Calling in last minute or not at all. This caused GREAT turmoil for my client & myself as I did what I could to rectify certain situations.

Since being online and getting orders now nationwide, it was hard to determine one’s dedication. After a few mishaps so to speak, I re-evaluated the purpose and goals for CharmandHappy.

The end result was I wanted Qualified, Skilled & Dedicated team members. Even though I made a ton of money, I had to make the choice to release & never again hire several team members. I didn't care that I'd make less financially. I cared more about the CharmandHappy reputation and client satisfaction much more.

To date, I still attend workshops, conventions, read books, watch dvd's to help me to continue my growth as a business person and a family entertainer. My focus for the last several years has been developing myself into a "Specialty Artist Entertainer". To feature the best of what I can offer.

I'm not actually the best at any of them, but I try my best and my clients recognize, appreciate & keep calling as well as referring others.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Carmen@CharmandHappy.com
- Artist Entertainer with a Twist of Charm -

http://www.CharmandHappy.com
877-725-6967 office
562-237-3327 cell
Face Painter - Balloon Artist
Whittier (Los Angeles) CA

Edited by John Abrams
www.rebelentertainers.com
www.facebook.com/rebelentertainers
www.twitter.com/johnabrams1

No comments: