Monday, November 9, 2009

Times, they are a changin'

If you're not taking advantage of the social media networking sites (twitter, facebook, youtube, etc), you're about to miss the boat.

I'm not talking about the fun and frolicking Carnival cruise. I'm talking about the next wave in marketing. It's here. Right now.

If you don't believe me, here are the stats:

- There are over 75 million videos on youtube. Youtube is now watched more than ABC, CBS, ABC and FOX combined

- People 19 - 34 years old (the prime buying demographic) spend more time on social media networking sites than on TV, Radio & Newspapers COMBINED.

Facebook is huge. People are still trying to figure out "why twitter", but don't let that fool you. It is catching on.

These sites will come and go. But right now they're killing radio and TV advertising. Add the advent of TIVO/DVR and the fall of your local and national newspapers, you're talking about having to completely re-invent how people get their message out.

A few weeks ago I sent out a 4 part course on marketing with Facebook. Take it seriously. Social networking sites are here to stay! (at least until the next shiny thing comes along)

And yes, you'll notice that I've listed my social networking sites after my signature. You're welcome to friend me or follow me, but more importantly, I'd like to see you listing yours.

P.S. If you liked this blog, be sure to comment. It really helps me if you give me your feedback.

- John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and Guy that's becoming more and more social every day!
Friend me on www.facebook.com/rebelentertainer
Twitter @johnabrams1

2 comments:

Angie Weeks said...

Great points, John! You do a great job with your social networking :) Adding social icons to your signature, your website, and your blog allows you to automate the 'friend' making process, and better leverage your social networking time. We have lots of posts on the various social networks on: http://blog.calcoastwebdesign.com if anyone needs some advanced assistance. See ya on Facebook :)

Rebel Entertainers said...

Thanks Angie. Yep, I check out your blog every so often. It's great.

Oh, if you're a Rebel Entertainer reading this, make sure you check out Angie's blog. It's very informative.